XP USB Drive not detected or installed fix - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: XP USB Drive not detected or installed fix

Hybrid View

Welcome to Windrivers Raki,

You could have just changed the drive letter for the drive in drive management (right click my computer, manage, disk management on the left, right click on the drive on the right pane, then select change drive letter).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi!

Here is a partial answer to my own question above: "My Zip drive appears fine when I go to start/computer but not Zip cartridges." Wants to format!
    Don't do that because then will not read on the XP.
    THIS I RESOLVED MY STARTING THE COMPUTER, THEN ONLY AFTER STARTING THE ZIP & INSERTING A CARTRIDGE - IT WORKS EVERYTIME.

The other problem with the removable HD for USB will still not display on start/computer, but works fine on my XP desktop. It displays in "Device Manager/Disk drives" (USB Device) as working fine + drivers are up to date, but there is no Icon to read it or even reformat under "Start/Computer in Vista" You can hear the the "ping" when you connect HD in the USB.
    dragon

Does the drive show up in disk management or device manager?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi!

The drive shows on both "device manager" and "disk management", but remember this is Vista and for the last had to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk management, which is below on the left side. I left doubled clicked on dm and got a Dialog box with discription of the HD, but could not find a place to change drive letter. There are 4 options -Gen,Policies,Volumes,Driver,Details. In the Policies there are 2 choices Optimize for qick removal, Which is selected and Optimze for performance. says This setting enables write caching in Windows to improve disk performance.
    dragon

Did you right click on the drive volume representation in DM and get a context menu? Drive letter changing options are available from there.

Post No 7 Solved my problem

Post No 7 which is given by prasanthsonline perfectly solves my problems

Thanks.

Hi Noo Noo!

WOW!
    That's amazing - followed your instructions and right clicked on the drive volume representation in DM to get a context menu to change the drive ID# Worked like a charmed and even formated. Thanks so much
    dragon

Anytime.

Ola amigos tem como vcs me enviar o driver da webcam kensington #67014 que rode no xp? grato pela atençao. claudio santos

edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

There are no xp drivers for this camera here are the 98 and ME drivers You could try installing them, but I don't think they will work.

You could try this driver which says it will let you use msn messenger - but that's all.

Time to get a new camera Claudio!

All four usb ports does not read the memorystick

Welcome to Windrivers naobebj

Have you tried the stick on another computer?

I have 2 portable hard drives and a memory stick that no longer work on my computer, although they work on other computers. I have a portable floppy drive that does still work on this computer. I am running Xp sp2 and all devices are USB. I tried your suggestion of editing the registry but in the registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, there is no UpperFilters or LowerFilters entry.

And in the registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, there is an UpperFilters entry but no LowerFilters entry. What do you suggest I do now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers k950re

When yuou plug in the hard drives, do you get any reaction from windows at all? Have you looked in disk manager to see if they appear, but don't have drive letters?

It is showing up in disk manager but it has the same drive letter as another drive on our network. I assume that is why it doesn't show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer. But this problem is recent. It didn't do that before. What do I do to correct this now?